More Than I Can Bear
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it (1 Corinthians 10:13).
Have you ever been going through it? A situation so difficult for you that in the midst of it you’ve cried out to God, “It’s too much. I can’t bear it.”
I’ve had it happen to me and the minute I say, “I can’t bear it”, I hear a reply, “I won’t give you more than you can bear.” Then my very next thought – the absolute next – is, “Lord, I wish You didn’t have so much faith in me.”
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full affiliate policy.
Related: Great Is His Faithfulness
But you know, it occurred to me recently (just yesterday in fact), that if I had even one ounce of the faith that God has in me in Him, I wouldn’t feel so overwhelmed as often as I do. Can you relate?
If only we believed him when He said:
- I will never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5)
- I am on your side (Psalm 118:6)
- He is our shelter (Psalm 61:3)
- He’s our rock and our defense (Psalm 62:6-7)
- He will sustain us (Psalm 55:22)
- His grace is sufficient. His strength is made perfect in our weakness (II Corinthians 12:9)
- He shall supply all our needs (Philippians 4:19)
- With Him, nothing will be impossible (Luke 1:37)
Aren’t God’s promises awesome? Can you think of one that has not been fulfilled? There are thousands of promises in the Bible and God has kept every one of them.
Jehovah, help me to have faith in You, just as you have faith in me. Help me to know that You won’t give me more than I can bear. In Jesus’s name. Amen.
What’s your strategy for getting past those “more than I can bear” moments?
Linking up at #TuneInThursday