How Do We Live With the Choices That We’ve Made?
Choices. we make them on a daily basis. We decide what to eat, what to wear, how we respond to the stimuli we’re exposed to. But, have you ever bought something and ten seconds out of the store you knew you shouldn’t have gotten it? Maybe you’ve done something and then thought,
“Oh dear! What did I just do?”
Sometimes it seems as though every choice we make is the wrong one. We wish we had a do-over button that could be used to reset events. But we don’t. So how do we live with our choices after they’ve been made?
This page may contain affiliate links. Read the full affiliate disclosure.
5 Steps to Live With the Choices that We’ve Made
1. We need to recognize that each created being has freedom of choice. Jehovah doesn’t want robots. So the next time we’re tempted to blame God for not stopping us from choosing what is harmful, we should pause to reflect.
2. Admit that a choice had been available and a selection made. It was reviewed, analyzed, critiqued, or maybe it was chosen impulsively. Whatever the case, a decision had been taken. Unless there is an option to reverse the choice, accept it and move on.
3. Remind yourself why you chose as you did. Relive the events that led you to the point where a decision had to be made. What made you do it in the first place? Once that’s been done, you’ll be able to think more positively about the choice.
4. What can you learn from your current “choosers’ remorse”? This is a two-part question: what does it tell you about your decision-making process and what can you learn from the situation you find yourself in after the choice was made?
5. Give praises to the Most High. Praise Him for the fact that you have the ability to choose. Praise Him because He’s with you in every situation, through every decision that is made. Praise Him because He can use any situation for your benefit and to His glory.
Father, sometimes we lose our way when we go to make choices. We forget to consider Your will and how our choices affect our identity in You. Help us to move past regrets and into the fullness of joy that You have in store for us. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Have you ever made a choice and instantly regretted it? How did you handle it? What’s your plan to make a better choice next time?